Wednesday, January 30, 2008

my father

I spent the entire day with my dad at Jackson yesterday. He was in the ER waiting room since Monday afternoon and they finally took him in Tues 4am. They took blood, and gave him breakfast, and then by 10 am they gave him an ultrasound. There were no results from that. I sat with him in a general room with 17 other patients, waiting for rooms to become available.

Some guy with prostate cancer was to the right, every time he had to pee he would moan and spasm. When the doctor's finally gave him a catheter, he was spasming uncontrollably every time he felt like he was peeing. It was really annoying. Not to mention he smelled terrible.

The doctors finally came to ask my dad more questions in the afternoon. I come to find out that my dad's father died of liver CANCER when he was like 48. I thought he died of EYE cancer. So now I'm worrying even more. The doctor finally came back again later on to tell me that he was allowed to eat (they skipped him for lunch and dinner because there were no orders from the doctors). He could eat until midnight, then after that nothing bc they are going to do a CT scan this morning. I left there at 9pm and he was still in the general room.

So I called him this morning and I was happy to hear him pick up the phone, because that meant he had a room. There was no cell service where he was yesterday. So sure enough he is in a room and they haven't done the CT scan yet. The first thing he told me when he picked up the phone was, very quietly "I'm in a room with an HIV positive person." I think he's creeped out.

So I'm going to try to stay positive, but it's sort of hard. He is in good spirits and doesn't seem to show signs that he's sick, except that he's orange and his eyes are yellow. So hopefully everything will turn out ok.

No comments: